University of Texas at El Paso Academic Catalog

Academic Catalog

International Student Admission

The University welcomes applications from qualified international students whose academic backgrounds indicate a high probability of success in desired academic programs. First-year applicants must complete high school preparation, or its equivalent, that would qualify them for admission to recognized universities in their home country. Transfer students must have completed credits at institutions recognized by the appropriated authority in the country where the institution is located.

All admission credentials will be evaluated on the basis of the admission requirements described below. Students who have attended other colleges or universities in the United States or abroad should also refer to the Transfer Admission section of this catalog for additional information about the transferability of credit.

Documents Required

The University must receive complete, official, or school-certified transcript of high school and university work sent directly from each institution attended. If the original documents are in the student's possession, copies certified by the school, college, university, or U.S. Consulate can be submitted initially, and the originals should be presented to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for validation when students arrive on campus. All transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations by the educational institution, an American Consulate, or a certified English translator.

International applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for admission to UTEP:

  • Apply Texas Application (
  • $65.00 application fee paid in U.S. dollars. 
    • Payment may be made in-person to UTEP Student Business Services located at:

UTEP Students Business Services Office 
Mike Loya Academic Services Bldg
500 W University Ave
El Paso, TX 79968

Checks or money orders should be made payable to The University of Texas at El Paso and mailed to the address above. Please include the student's name, application semester, and UTEP ID number (which is issued upon receipt of an application for admission) on the check or money order.

Students may also pay online with a credit card through the UTEP Miner Shoppe, at the following link:

  • Satisfactory SAT, ACT, PAA, TOEFL, or Pearson Test of English (PTE) scores as described below
  • Complete, official high school transcript
  • Complete, official transcripts from EACH college or university attended (for transfer applicants).

International students who have been admitted and wish to apply for a student visa must submit the following documents in order to meet financial certification requirements as set by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations to receive an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status:

  • Signed and completed Certification of Financial Resources form
  • Appropriate documentation verifying source and availability of funds. Acceptable documents include but are not limited to bank statements, scholarship award letters, educational benefits certification from an employer, etc. For additional information regarding acceptable documentation please contact the Office of International Programs at 915.747.5664 or at

International First-Year Admission

Secondary school or high school graduates whose academic credentials would make them eligible for admission to recognized universities in their home country will be considered for admission to UTEP if all other admission requirements are met. Applicants must present a cumulative grade average equivalent to a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (B on a letter scale) in addition to the applicable test scores as described below.

International Transfer Admission

Applicants will be considered for admission to UTEP as transfer students if they have completed academic work at colleges or universities recognized by the appropriate authority in the country where the institution operates. A minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (C on a letter scale) or its equivalent is required. Applicants must be eligible to return to all previous institutions attended. During the application process, students must list all post-secondary institutions attended. Failure to do so can result in the denial or withdrawal of any admission offer previously tendered. Students transferring to UTEP from another U.S. college or university MUST notify their current International Student Advisor of their plans to transfer. Transfer students must meet the Test Score Requirements as described below.

International Student Test Score Requirements

Students whose formal academic instruction was not in English and who do not meet the standards for a waiver as stated below are required to take the TOEFL or the Pearson Test of English (PTE).  Students who take the TOEFL must achieve a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based exam, 173 on the computer-based exam, and 61 on the Internet exam.  Students who take the PTE must achieve a score of 44.

To receive a waiver of the English proficiency test requirement, students must have completed at least one reading/writing-intensive course at the freshman level or above at another US institution with a grade of C or better. Pre-freshman level or developmental coursework will not be reviewed when determining English proficiency test waivers. A waiver for the English proficiency test requirement is automatically granted to students from countries where English is the native language and/or the official language for academic instruction. Students with ACT English score of at least 19 or SAT Reading Comprehension of 480 also qualify for English proficiency test waivers. All test scores must be official and submitted directly from the testing agency to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The UTEP school codes are 6829 for the SAT, 4223 for the ACT, and 6829 for the TOEFL. Students who have successfully completed the University's English Language Institute also meet the English proficiency requirement for regular admission.

The ACCUPLACER ESL test is required if a student's secondary education was not conducted in English and if the student took the TOEFL (and scored less than 600), PTE (and scored less than 68), or the PAA for admission. Students who enroll in the ESOL Program are expected to complete the appropriate sequence of courses. Students can retake the ACCUPLACER ESL if they have not enrolled in an ESOL course during the 12 months following initial testing, or with approval of the ESOL Coordinator. Contact the Student Assessment and Testing Office for information on ACCUPLACER ESL test dates and registration procedures.

The Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) should be taken if the student's primary language is Spanish and she or he does not pass the TOEFL or PTE; a total score of 1000 is required on the PAA. If the student is admitted on the basis of the PAA, he or she will enroll in the bilingual Programa Interamericano Estudiantil (PIE) program. PIE students must enroll in ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses. Once ESOL 1610 has been completed with a grade of C or better, the student can change to a major of choice.

The Student Assessment and Testing Web site at contains information about test dates and registration. If your academic background is unusual or is not described above, you should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to determine which test is appropriate.

International Student Financial Assistance

Financial assistance for our international students is limited. After admission and before an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status (CFR) can be issued, international students must furnish a Certification of Financial Responsibility (CFR) documenting the source and amount of funding available to cover the cost of attendance while enrolled at UTEP. Citizens of Mexico who meet the requirements of the Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil (PASE)might qualify to pay Texas resident tuition. For additional information, contact the Office of International Programs at 915.747.5664 or

Health insurance is required of international students holding non-immigrant visas and living in the United States. The amount assessed will match the University of Texas System Student Insurance Plan premium.