Extended University (EU) is UTEP's gateway to students and communities near and far. Extended University serves as the hub for non-traditional academic programs, professional training and education, and community enrichment.
Through UTEP Connect, EU works with the university's academic colleges to coordinate and manage UTEP's rapidly growing portfolio of fully online degree and certificate programs as well as online and hybrid course development through the Center for Instructional Design (CID). EU also houses UTEP's Office of Professional and Pubic Programs (P3), which provides everything from customized training for businesses, government, and non-profits to personal enrichment courses ranging from archery to yoga and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), which provides non-credit bearing learning opportunities to adults aged 50 and older.
Extended University's mission is to expand UTEP's reach beyond its beautiful desert campus to the Paso Del Norte region and the world beyond. We see opportunities to educate adult learners and military personnel, train corporate and government leaders, and enrich the lives of children and older adults through our broad array of credit and continuing education courses and programs. We strive to live up to our name--Extended University--by increasing access to UTEP's outstanding educational opportunities for all who seek them out.
Professional and Public Programs
The Office of Professional and Public Programs is a unique learning agent within The University of Texas at El Paso. Our mission is to provide high-quality continuing education. This includes lifelong learning opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment. We foster and support the larger University mission to serve as a gateway to an improved quality of life for people of the Paso del Norte Region.
P3 offers non-credit courses in the following areas:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Summer Institute: The AP® Summer Institute is administered by Professional and Public Programs and endorsed by the Southwestern Region of the College Board®. This institute offers subject-specific professional development opportunities for high school teachers to utilize AP® teaching strategies.
- Adult Leisure and Learning: Noncredit courses for adults for personal and community engagement. Participants can explore a wide range of subjects: from arts, dance, and contemporary issues to photography, fitness, and learning a new hobby.
- Corporate and Business Training: Noncredit courses and certifications that focus on business analysis, project management, communications, leadership, sales and negotiations, management, professional coaching, and more. We also provide customized programs to meet the particular needs and requirements of our clients.
- English Language Institute: Noncredit courses designed to help learners gain functional command of English in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Language and Cultural Studies: Noncredit courses designed to offer opportunities to develop and enhance communication skills and cross–cultural understanding that focuses on learning a new language and culture.
- Military and MYCAA Career Assistance: Offers eligible military service members and spouses assistance with funding for a variety of career training and certifications thru the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA) and Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program
- WIOA Career Assistance: Professional and Public Programs is part of the Texas Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) and offers a number of noncredit WIOA-approved programs to eligible participants seeking in-demand education and training opportunities designed to help participants return to employment, expand postsecondary options and opportunities, and support entrepreneurship goals to help stabilize our economy and community.
- Youth Programs and Camps: Offers youth fun, engaging programs to promote, excitement, and self-discovery for kids of all ages.
- Online Noncredit Courses: Self-paced, independent study noncredit online courses that can be taken any time, any place. Courses range from various personal enrichment courses to diverse career training and certifications options.
Memorial Gym, Suite 111
101 W. Robinson
El Paso, Texas 79968-0602
UTEP Connect works with the university's academic colleges to coordinate and manage UTEP's inventory of fully online degree and certificate programs. For a list of online programs, please see the UTEP Connect website.
Students accepted to UTEP Connect's fully online programs are subject to the policies and procedures in this section as well as UTEP's general policies and procedures applicable to all UTEP students.
Kelly Hall, Suite 115
Center for Instructional Design
The Center for Instructional Design is focused on providing research-based best practices in instructional design and development as well as instructional technology solutions that can help faculty members and instructors maximize their students’ learning experience. In addition to working with faculty on developing online and hybrid courses, the CID team trains faculty on emerging technologies and instructional resources used to effectively manage or enhance all types of teaching.
Undergraduate Learning Center, Suite 304
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) provides learning opportunities to enhance the enjoyment, meaning, and direction of adult lives as well as the health and well being of adults. OLLI seeks to develop a community of older learners on the UTEP campus in a relaxed and informal atmosphere.
Miners Hall, Suite 209
Kelly Hall, Room 115