Graduate Certificate in Bilingual (Spanish/English) Speech-Language Pathology
To provide additional educational and practicum experience for speech-language pathologists in the area of diagnosis and treatment of Spanish only and Spanish/English individuals who are suffering speech-language-voice-swallowing disorders.
Steps for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Bilingual (Spanish/English) Speech-Language Pathology:
- Graduate admission to UTEP. This certificate program is open to students currently enrolled in a degree program at UTEP (graduate), and students who wish to pursue only the certificate.
- Application via a letter of interest should be submitted to the coordinator of the program. Applicant must have a GPA of 3.0 in graduate studies, submit a letter of interest, submit official transcripts, and a summary of their clinical experiences.
- Course equivalencies will be evaluated and decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Students must have completed the following prerequisite courses with a grade of B or higher to enroll in the certificate program.
Course List Code Title Hours SPLP 2313 General Phonetics 3 SPLP 3310 Language Development 3
- An individual must earn a passing score in the following English and Spanish test of proficiency:
- Spanish Placement Exam administered at the UTEP Testing Center
- English Placement Exam (TOEFL) administered at the UTEP Testing Center
Clinical Practicum Practice
The candidate must complete at least 75 contact hours with a bilingual population during diagnostic and treatment clinical activities. These hours must be attested to by a supervising speech-language pathologist who holds a Certificate of Clinical Competency in speech-language pathology. The supervisor must also hold the Certificate of Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology, with at least 200 contact hours with bilingual clients following certification.
The above is in keeping with ASHA Bilingual Service Provider Guidelines
Required Credits: 18
|Certificate in Bilingual Speech-Language (All courses require a grade of B or better for successful completion)|
|SLP 5101||Clinical Practicum 1||1|
|SLP 5102||Clinical Practicum 2||1|
|SLP 5103||Clinical Practicum 3||1|
|SLP 5304||Clinical Practicum 4||3|
|SLP 5305||Clinical Practicum 5||3|
|SLP 5331||Research in CD/EBP||3|
|SLP 5342||Probs and Proj in SLP||3|
|SLP 5344||DEI and Multilingualism||3|