M.S. in Professional Science
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Dr. Nancy Marcus
The College of Science Professional Master of Science is designed to enhance the marketability of STEM students who do not go on to doctoral programs by matching graduate hours in a specific discipline in science or mathematics with graduate hours in a complementary discipline.
- The M.S. in Professional Science is composed of two graduate certificates.
- The first graduate certificate is a 15-18 hour graduate certificate offered by the College of Science.
- The second graduate certificate is a 15-18 hour graduate certificate offered at UTEP or any accredited institution. The certificate can be taken in person or on line.
- Students would be advised to complete stated prerequisites of graduate certificate programs while an undergraduate student.
Admission to the program requires admission to the graduate school. Admission to the graduate certificates requires permission of the department and or university hosting the certificate.
Admission and Advising
Prospective students will be advised by the MPS program. To be formally admitted into the MPS program applicants must be accepted into both a core science certificate program and a professional certificate program approved by the MPS program advisor.
Requirements for admissions into the core science certificate programs include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the United States or proof of equivalent education in an international institution
- Undergraduate degree in core discipline or equivalent with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Acceptable TOEFL score (international students)
Admission to the professional certificate program will be determined by the program consistent with its admission requirements.
Full admission to the MPS program would require that the applicant be admitted to their two selected graduate certificate programs.
This program requires completion of 15-18 graduate hours in one discipline offered in the College of Science and 15-18 graduate hours in a graduate certificate in any field. The M.S. in Professional Science is administered through the Office of the Dean of Science. See departmental website for the inventory of courses allowed in each certificate. No duplication of courses between certificates is allowed.