Return to: Degree Programs
The College of Liberal Arts
Kelly Hall, Rm 215
The Master in Leadership Studies (MLS) is a program preparing its graduates for positions of responsibility in education, military, private industry, government and the not-for-profit sectors dedicated to the improvement of both the substance and processes of leadership in a variety of roles. The Master in Leadership Studies degree provides professional education for students interested in leadership careers. The interdisciplinary program is designed to emphasize the knowledge, skills, values, and behaviors essential to the successful organizational leader. Some flexibility in curriculum is permitted to meet the diverse educational needs of students at different points of time in their careers and in need of specialization in light of their career goals. The curriculum components are designed to produce professionals capable of intelligent and creative analysis, communication, and action in leadership functions.
Requirements for Admission
- Submission of transcripts according to the requirements of the Graduate School.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstration of academic achievement and potential as indicated by the results of the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and upper-level undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- A one- to two-page statement of purpose that addresses educational and career goals and reasons for pursuing an MLS degree.
- Three letters of recommendation from instructors, job supervisors, or others in a position to evaluate the student’s ability to succeed in a MLS program.
- A current resumé reflecting career and volunteer experience.
- For international students, a score of 600 on the TOEFL and an in-person or telephone interview.
Requirements for the MLS Degree
M.A. in Leadership Studies with Concentration
Required Credits: 33
|MLS 5300||Contemp Concepts of Leadership||3|
|MLS 5303||Applied Research Methods||3|
|MLS 5315||Org Theory and Behavior||3|
|MLS 5321||Leadership in Complex Org.||3|
|MLS 5326||Leadership-Organizatnl Change||3|
|MLS 5331||Leadership Communications||3|
|MLS 5340||Team Based Leadership||3|
|MLS 5351||Ethics & Leadership-Capstone||3|
Concentration in Communication
Concentration in Health Administration
Concentration in Public Administration
Concentration in Intel & Nat'l Security Stud